Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lemon Lentil Soup

I Love Love LOVE a good soup.  A homemade soup in your fridge makes life good ...nuff said.
I doubled the recipe for this soup knowing I wanted to give half to my parents so they could have the good life too.  When it had finished bubbling on my stove I put half into a large jar and scooted over to their house with a baguette ...I think it was well received :)
I had never made this soup before but since it was a recipe out of the Hollyhock CookBook I knew I couldnt go wrong.  It had what I needed.... Lentils for Protein, Veggies, and a lemon Dill twist that sounded like spring ...perfect.

Ingredients:

  • 3 TBSP    Sunflower or Safflower oil
  • 2 Cups      Diced Onions
  • 2 TBsp      Crushed Garlic
  • 11/2 Cup   Finely Diced Carrots
  • 1 Cup        Diced Potato if Desired 
  • 2                Bay Leaves
  • 1 Cup        Diced Celery 
  • 1 Cup        Red Lentils
  • 5 Cups       Water Or Stock
  • 1/3 Cup      Squeezed Lemon Juice
  • 2 TBsp       Chopped Fresh Dill
  • 4 Cups        Chopped Fresh Greens such as Kale, Chard, Spinach, mustard or Sorel
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  1. In a soup pot, saute the onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and bay leaves in the oil just until the potatoes begin to soften, about 15 mins.
  2. Rinse and check lentils for stones.
  3. Add celery and the lentils to the soup pot and continue to saute for 5 mins.  Add the water or stock and reduce heat to medium.  Cover and simmer until the lentils and the vegetables are tender, approximately 15 minutes.
  4. Just before serving, remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, chopped sill and greens.  Stir Until the Greens have wilted.  Season with Salt and Pepper to taste.  Serve immediately :)
Enjoy :)

Happy Birthday to my wonderful Grandmother Margie...she is 91 years young today.  Speaking to her on the phone this morning she sounded so wonderful...I caught her just as she was heading out the door awaiting her taxi to the Royal York Hotel in Ontario for her special birthday lunch.  I wish I could be with her...I hope she orders soup :)



No comments:

Post a Comment