The RAIN is here…..
Time to accept it
The school age kids bringing home colds
The Leaves are changing to brilliant Yellow,Orange, and Red
The Patter of rain on your rooftop
COzyness is here!
and Dark evenings
Speaking of those dark evenings….
time to make comfort food
easy healthy food that freezes well
ready for those evenings that you REaLLy! REALLY do not want to cook
Enter the secret weapon
Making a batch of these is well worth the effort
They keep in the fridge for up to a week
or freeze for a meal down the road
They are awesome on a yummy multi seed bun with avocado grainy mustard vine ripe tomato crisp lettuce….
They are awesome in a lettuce wrap
They are awesome crumbled over salad
No matter what you really can't go wrong
This recipe is from the OH SHE GLOWS cookbook by Angela Liddon
Her recipe was inspired by Shelly Adams author of the Whitewater cookbook
The only adjustment I made was to use brown rice in the place of breadcrumbs
Breadcrumbs work great as a binder and soak up any excess liquid creating less crumble
But I found my brown rice version was just as solid. Just make sure you cook your rice a bit overdone so it is a bit stickier than usual…but honestly just leftover rice will work great
3 Tablespoons ground Flaxseed
1 (15 oz can/425 -g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Cup grated Carrots or Sweet Potato
1/3 Cup Finely chopped fresh Parsley or cilantro leaves
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Cup Onion
1/2 Cup Sunflower seeds
3/4 Cup Oats, processed into a Flour
1/2 Cup Cooked Brown Rice
1/2 TBSP Olive oil or Coconut Oil
2 TBP Braggs or Tamari
1 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 to 1 tsp fine grain sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Dig out your food processor if you have one:
1. Process your Oatmeal into a course flour, transfer to a bowl for later
2. Preheat Oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
3. In a small bowl combine the flax seeds 1/3 Cup warm water and set aside for 5-10 minutes
4. In a large bowl mash black beans into a paste, leaving a few black beans intact for texture. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and flaxseed mixture.
5. Use your food processor to quickly mince your garlic and chop your parsley. Transfer to bean mixture
6. Add about 1/2 an Onion to your food processor should be about the right amount. Transfer to bean mixture.
7. Grate Carrot and to bean mixture.
8. Stir in the rest of the ingredients including flax
9. With a 1/3 Cup scoop measure out clumps of burger onto a clean surface.
10. wash and wet your hands to shape burgers and lightly squish. Place the patties onto the prepared baking sheet.
11. Bake the patties for 15 mins, gently flip them and bake for another 15-20 mins, until patties are firm and golden.