Saturday, October 31, 2015

Gingerbread


This recipe is inspired by a rainy day.  It's halloween and it doesn't feel at all like it!  Our energies lately have been all about work for myself and especially Grego. For Boden his many activities and new passions.  We even skipped carving a pumpkin. Boden has declared himself too old to trick or treat...he IS only 11 but as he looks down at me towering my height my inches now I support his choice.  Baking something with pumpkin, molasses, and pumpkin pie spice could not be missed.  
This recipe was inspired by Oh She glows.  I love cruising all my fav blogs for new recipes but more often than not it is Angela's recipes that get me making a mess in my kitchen.  Our house smells like fall and that at least feels a bit like halloween.

This recipe is vegan and soy free. Angela's recipe calls for pumpkin puree but since my mind is still foggy from a nasty cold I have been fighting I found myself half way deep into the recipe until I remembered the important ingredient I needed  CRAP.... and then quickly I improvised.  Enter a nice big orange Yam.  The recipe also calls for pumpkin pie spice of which I did not have in my spice cupboard but luckily Angela provides a quick recipe for this as well... I  have also amended this since I have discovered I REALLy don't care for nutmeg OR cloves.  But without these two it still is an outstanding pumpkin spice if I don't say so myself.

Pumpkin Pie Spice:
-4 tsp cinnamon
-2 tsp ground ginger
-1 tsp ground allspice

Angela's recipe also calls for:
-1 tsp grated nutmeg
-1/2 tsp ground cloves
...if you are into those sorts of things (gag)

Gingerbread!
1 TBSP Chia seeds
3 TBSP water

1 Cup cooked Yam
1/3 Cup melted coconut oil
3 TBSP pure maple syrup
1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
1/4 Cup blackstrap molasses

1 2/3 Cup all purpose flour
1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 Cup raw pumpkin seeds

Method:
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
prep bread pan with parchment paper OR prep muffin tins

In a small bowl mix together chia seeds and water and let sit for maybe 3 mins.

In your blender carafe, add all wet ingredients.  Dont forget to add your chia blob (this is your egg sub and it works like a dream  ALSO adds nutrition to your recipe :)
Blend till combined and smooth.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Add wet ingredients from blender.  Mix just till combined. Once batter is in your loaf pan or in muffin tins sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.  

Cooking time for muffins is 22 mins.  For a loaf give it about 50 mins. 

Happy Halloween Y'all!  
xoxo Ashie girl 


No comments:

Post a Comment