Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Salad Art In A Cabbage Bowl ...PURPLE!

Cooked Kamut
Raw Kamut

















Have you tried Kamut?  I have been trying out new grains as much as I can lately...I guess I am just curious and also who doesn't like a bit of variety to keep healthy food interesting.

I eat a big salad mostly twice a day.  This might sound VERY boring but you must understand my salads are NEVER the same and NEVER boring!!!
I fill my fridge with salad goodies that are ready and waiting when hunger strikes!
Just a few that I keep on hand these days...

Roasted Beets             Steamed Asparagus         Homemade Sprouts
Green onions              Avocado                         Shredded Carrot
Cilantro                      Celery                              Purple Cabbage
Swiss Chard               Kale                                 Pumpkin Seeds
Almonds                    Walnuts                            Sunflower Seeds
Cooked Chicken        Canned Salmon              Poached Halibut 
Toasted Corn Tortillas Cut into strips (yum)   Rice or any other Cooked Grain like....KAMUT
                                
Some things I have learnt about Kamut is that it is holds a high protein ratio for a grain, it is rich in antioxidants and minerals as well it contains a unique type of gluten which is tolerated by some who have wheat sensitivities.
Kumut kinda rules.
Kamut cooks up as a pretty big grain with a chewy yummy texture.  Really satisfying.  I have been trying it as an addition to my salads and even with my morning eggs.
To Cook Kamut you need 3 parts water to 1 part grain.  Bring water to a boil then add grain.  Return water to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 35-40 mins unit later is absorbed.










The Two salads I have made today are posted below.  They are sorta similar because of the ingredients I have going on in my fridge at the moment but they were both fabulous, colourful, super exciting and Super yummy.
Salad Art begins with throwing a handful of Spinach, Kale, or any Salad mix into a bowl, add as many goodies as you want.  Include raw nuts, a protein source, a grain if like, and a healthy dressing.
Voila you have yourself a meal that WILL leave you satisfied and happy with a ton of green energy to tackle even the craziest of days..


Todays Salad # 1:
  • Purple Cabbage Leaf
  • Spinach Leaves
  • Cooked Kamut                
  • Shredded Carrot
  • Green Onions
  • Avocado 
  • Cilantro 
  • Canned Salmon
  • Dressing of Braggs, Chipotle Salsa,Flax oil 
Todays Salad # 2:

  • Cabbage Leaf
  • Spinach Leaves
  • Halibut 
  • Sprouts 
  • Green Onion 
  • Fresh Green Peas 
  • Avocato 
  • Walnuts
  • Celery 
  • Braggs/salsa/flax dressing again 






No comments:

Post a Comment