Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Chickpea Rice Kale Soup Dairy Free!




I think I say it every week on my blog
I love soup
I love trying new and different soups
I have this tendency to want to puree all the soups I make
I dont know why this is ...I love pureed carrot soup!
But I am trying to branch out into chunkier style

This is a terrific soup that I hope you try
It looks like it has a cream base but only achieved by using cashew cream
Something I have never tried before and I am so stoked on
Please give this soup a try I promise you will not be disappointed
I left out the rice but I think this might make it even Thicker
But as is it is like a thick veggie stew that definitely satisfies

Ingredients:


3/4 cup cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours or overnight
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 cup rice, rinsed (make sure to adjust cook time to ensure rice is completely cooked)
3 pieces of Celery, thinly sliced
1 cup carrots, diced chunky
5 cups vegetable broth
1 24 oz can Organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 cups chopped kale
Make your soup!
Drain the cashews and place them in a blender with one cup of fresh water
Blend cashews till completely smooth, scraping the sides of the food processor with a spatula occasionally to make sure you get everything. This could 1 to 5 minutes depending on the strength of your blender.
In a Large soup pot heat olive oil.  Saute onion with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes.
 Add garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and saute a minute more.
Add rice, celery and carrots and then pour in the broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring down to a simmer, add the chickpeas, and let cook for about 15 (about 30 mins for brown rice or wild rice) until rice is cooked and carrots are tender.
Add the cashew cream and kale, and simmer until kale is wilted, 3 to 5 more minutes.
You may need to add water to thin the soup if it seems too thick. It thickens as it cools, so if you have leftovers, just thin with a little water when you reheat.
Enjoy!




xoxo Asia Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment