Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Invention??? Low GI Tortillas !!!







Today....I declare is Tortilla TUESDAY
Because ToDAY
I think I invented something!!!

The reason I (ahhhemmm I THINK) invented it is....
You see my friends .......I like Carbohydrates
I DO know the best ones to eat....
Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Yams
They are all low glycemic
AND that of course is what I want to support all my hard work!
Waking up at 5 am to destroy the weights in my Young Gun Gym
or
Rocking the latest ZWOW in my living room
But not all carbs are low GI
like...Tortillas
I love Tortillas! 
I love that they are a great bread alternative
Great for toasting for breakfast to pair with my poached eggs
Or with soup
Great al by themselves or smeared with yummy nut butter or honey
buuuuttt....as far as GI goes they are sorta like sugar
drat
SO
lets invent a better corn tortilla !
This is what I whipped up this afternoon and was happy when it was a success
I realize I havent done much to the original recipe but I think it is enough to change the GI
I added leftover oatmeal from this mornings breakfast
The results I think is a lower GI Tortilla
BONUS.....the stickiness that the oats offer makes a less crumbly mix
that is MUCH easier to work with
They toast up great, they taste great...
AND friends I am positive I am experiencing crazy slow burning healthy carb energy here!
What do you think????

Here is MY recipe (yay)

* 1 1/2 Cups Masa Harina
* 1 Cup Warm Water
* 1 Cup Cooked whole Oats (cooled)

Method:
So First put your Masa into a pretty big bowl and mix in your warm water.  Stir with a wooden spoon to mixed.
Next add your oats and stir it up.
Use clean hands to really combine the mixture and create a large ball.
Cover your ball with a damp paper towel and let rest for 30 minutes

After 30 minutes roll into golf ball sized and squish with a Tortilla press
OR
Roll with a rolling pin between 2 sheets parchment paper
Cook in a dry frying pan till nicely toasted

I like to throw mine in my toaster just before I am going to eat them
This makes them warm & toasts the edges nice and crispy
also if you shape them into a Taco shell shape as soon as you pop them up they sorta stay that way
so you can load them up with goodies
What I built in my picture today was what I had in my fridge:

* 0 Fat Greek Yogurt
* Purple onions (why do they call these red onions when they are clearly purple?)
* Slices of Yellow pepper
* Left over BBQ Salmon
* AND Fresh baby Arugula

This Was SO good
I am happy
Have a wonderful Tuesday Friends
Hope you try low GI Tortillas ;)

xoxo
Asia Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment