My son and I pick berries together
I find this so amazingly calming
The heat of the summer air with just a hint of fall
The dry yellow grass underfoot
The crickets singing in the background
the cool of the evening air
the changes seem to creep in so fast
Pie is a part of fall. I love pie. I LOVE making pie.
Berry PIE, Pumkin Pie, Apple Pie
But I don't love having to sacrifice my diet
and since my sweet heart is even more strict than I can EVER try to be
I have to figure a way to make treats that aren't cheats
SO a pie without crust...that should work
Apple Blackberry Pie
* 5- 8 Golden Delicious or Granny Smith Apples
* 2-3 Cups Blueberries, Blackberries or Any berries for the top
* 1/4 Cup Walnuts
* 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
* 2 tsp Cinnamon
* 1 Cinnamon Stick
* Pinch of Salt
* Agave, honey or raw sugar (sweeten to taste)
* Butter to coat pie plate
* 2-3 TBSP Cornstarch
Lets Make Pie:
- Wash and peal apples. Slice with a mandolin slice into clean and as even as possible 1/8 inch thick rounds. KEEP CORES and fruit sides that do not make rounds! Once all your rounds are cut gently toss in a pan with lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, & a bit of sweetener :)
- Place all the apple scraps into a small saucepan. Add about a tablespoon of water. Cook till soft. Blend soft apples until smooth return to saucepan. Add a bit of the apple sauce and maybe a bit of very hot water to thickening agent in a small bowl and stir till dissolved. Add to saucepan. Cook until Bubbling and slightly thickened. THIS is your binding sauce :)
- Now place your berries into the same sauce pan with a cinnamon stick. Cook the same way adding a touch of lemon juice some sweetener (if needed) and some cornstarch to thicken.. Remove from heat when soft. DO NOT BLEND. Set aside to add to the top of your pie.
- Rub some butter on the bottom of your pie plate and sprinkle with cinnamon. Arrange a layer of apple rounds. Then brush with a think layer of binding apple sauce. Repeat till apples are gone. Spoon blackberry mixture on top.
- Place pie on baking sheet (in case of runoff) bake in oven @ 350 for 30 -40 mins or until apples are cooked through. Add walnuts to top near end of cooking time so they do not burn.
Allow your pie to cool completely before cutting.