I made Boden a zesty lemon poppy seed loaf which turned out to be a recipe that wasn't so bad in the fat and calories dept. As the loaf cooked in the oven I made a pot of homemade Chai tea from the Hollyhock Cook Book. The house smelled glorious and felt super cosy. I save the Chai in a mason jar without adding the milk. As I want to drink it I heat up just what I want and add milk and some Stevia to sweeten. I also drink this without the milk and it is just as yummy.
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf:
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Vegetable oil
2 tsp grated Lemon rind
1/3 Cup Milk
3 TBSP Lemon Juice
1 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 TBSP Poppy Seeds
1/3 Cup Yogurt
2 TBSP Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Icing Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray or butter a 5 " loaf pan.
- For the cake, combine the sugar, oil, egg, lemon rind, and the 3 TBP lemon juice. Mix well then add Milk, mix again.
- Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the dry mixture to the wet alternating with the yogurt. Mix just till incorporated. Do not over over mix.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 mins, or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry. Set the pan on a rack to cool for about 10 mins.
- For the glaze, combine the icing sugar with the 2 TBSP of lemon juice. Glaze the cake while still warm. Prick the top all over with a fork. Brush the glaze on over the cake top and sides with a basting brush.
Holly Hock Chai:
Chai is a sweet, spiced aromatic Indian tea that is bold in taste. Double the recipe and drink it all day :). The Cardamon seeds neutralize the effect of the caffeine in the black tea, giving bit a gentle uplifting quality that won't fry your nerves.
Makes 6 Cups:
9 Cups of water
1/4 Cup freshly grated Ginger
2 Large cinnamon sticks
2 tsp whole cardamon seeds
2 Whole Star anise or 2 tsp of whole fennel
2 Black Tea Bags
3 Cups of Milk or non-Dairy alternative
1 tsp vanilla
sweeten as desired :)
- In a Large saucepan, boil the water with the ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and star anise until only 1/3 of its original volume is remaining, about 3 Cups. Remove from heat. Add tea bags, cover and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Put this through a sieve to strain off the whole spices ad tea bags.
- Gently reheat adding the milk and the vanilla extract. Sweeten to taste. Serve hot or cold :)
Add some Chai to your next smoothy you will be so surprised how yummy it makes it.
7 Ice Cubes blended till crushed. Add 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 4 whole almonds, 1/2 a Banana, and about 1 Cup of Chai Tea. Blend till smooth. Add Two large handfuls of fresh Spinach. Blend again until smooth and GREEN. Enjoy!